Breeding Specialist Sweet Pepper| Sant'Agata Bolognese (Bologna) Italy BASF's vegetable seeds business | Fulltime
Nunhems Italy _ BASF Vegetable Seeds is searching for 1 candidates as.
Breeding Specialist Sweet Pepper
What you can expect _ Job Purpose
As a Breeding Specialist Sweet Pepper, under the supervision and in cooperation with the Breeder, you will give direction to the breeding program to guide the development of new varieties following the strategy of the company allowing a short time-to-market introduction of successful varieties. You will work in collaboration with your colleagues in different departments and countries. The job involves frequent travels (up to 30%) to evaluate nurseries and screenings, both nationally and internationally.
What you can expect _ Major Tasks & Responsibilities
- Assist and support the Breeder in optimizing the efficiency and output of the breeding program by supporting the breeder in the plant selections of nurseries and data collection as well as in the organization and evaluation of screening activities.
- Develop good understand of germplasm and use this knowledge to suggest hybrid selection for various and/or specific segments and regions and to provide feedback to the breeder about potential new source of traits.
- Planning and execute the seeds production of hybrids for field testing.
- Managing and executing parental seeds production and their maintenance. Keeping close communication with the Production department to ensure an optimal supply of basic seeds.
- Manage an accurate and detailed breeding administration, preparing summaries and reports, provide feedback of all ongoing running activities and implement new ICT- systems in cooperation with the IT Application department, within the breeding team.
- Permanent communication with the breeder. Support, coordinate and communicate the breeding program activities to the technicians and specialists (in breeding, farms, labs and research), provide them with technical advice for reaching the successful execution of the R&D activities, ensuring the optimal resource allocation in terms of people and budget in order to meet agreed standards.
- Autonomous designing, implementing, executing, evaluating, and analyzing screening activities in Italy and in the other test locations.
- Manage routine activities using our centralized R&D Services (GMO absent testing procedures, molecular services, pathogen detection, digital phenotyping, and others)
- Using company software for genetic material management, printing labels, uploading phenotyping data, etc.
- Work extensively in all regions within the country and/or internationally.
What we expect _ Education, work experience & skills
- Master of Science in agronomy/plant biotechnology/genetics with a minimum of 2 years of applicable experience in a similar role
- Knowledge in horticulture or agronomy
- Knowledge and experience in breeding and/or trialing activities can be a plus
- Quality of phenotyping in all stages of breeding, including screening
- Ensure availability and quality of Basic stock seeds (stock plant material)
- Computer skills: good databases, MS Office
- Autonomous, with good reporting skills, correct storage of all breeding data in right data systems
- You have a proactive approach to the breeder and the extended breeding Team
- Excellent communication skills
- Good knowledge of English and Italian is required.
- Excellent team player
- Willingness to work in challenging weather conditions in summer.
- Willing and available to travel frequently within Italy and Europe
- Located in Bologna, Modena or closer area.
What's in it for you?
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. At BASF we believe that people are the key to our long-term success and that talent is in everyone. That's why we empower you with the tools, guidance, and opportunities you need to advance and succeed in work and life. We offer you:
- Responsibility from day one in a challenging work environment and "on-the-job" training as part of a committed team.
- Competitive compensation including attractive benefits as well as excellent career opportunities in an international company.
Giving you the support that you need to be your best and fulfill your personal ambitions is what helps us achieving our ambitions. After all, our success is linked to yours. Whatever path you envision, BASF is a great place to build a rewarding, successful career.
We promote an inclusive culture that accepts the diversity of people, experiences, and capabilities. By embracing talents and abilities of all kinds, we aim to boost creativity and motivation, and enhance our teams' performance.
We need you. Become part of our formula for success and create the future with us, in a global team that values diversity and offers the same opportunities to everyone, regardless of gender, age, origin, sexual orientation, disability or belief.
Interested to join us ?
Do you recognize yourself in this job description and do you have the right interpersonal skills, experiences, and competencies to be successful in this challenging international position within BASF Vegetable Seeds? Then we invite you to apply for this job and upload on the Career Nunhems page your motivation letter and CV via the "Apply" button on the following link: https://career5.successfactors.eu/career?career%5fns=job%5flisting&company=basfseP3&navBarLevel=JOB%5fSEARCH&rcm%5fsite%5flocale=en%5fUS&career_job_req_id=3944&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&browserTimeZone=Europe/Rome&_s.crb=UKECOcUFMpIdK7a3%2bAKu%2fenUhAqBHPLDmhx28Gfc2jk%3d
Please apply before 28th February 2024
If you have any questions about the position, you can contact our Local HR Business Partner: Tatiana Pancaldi (email@example.com).
WELCOME to Vegetable Seeds
It is our ambition to make healthy eating enjoyable and sustainable by offering vegetable solutions in line with consumer demands. Our breeders and researchers are constantly working on the development of improved varieties in our laboratories, greenhouses, and fields. We look at the needs of vegetable growers and the value chain and we thoroughly investigate what consumers want. By working together with partners, we actively contribute to improve vegetable consumption with innovations that are healthy, tasty and sustainable.
As BASF's vegetable seeds business, operating under the Nunhems® brand, we are one of the world's largest vegetable seed companies, offering 1,200 vegetable varieties in 24 crops, as well as unrivalled specialist advice. Every day we reach more than 500 million consumers that enjoy vegetables that originate back to our seeds and our partners in the value chain.
When processing your personal data during the applicant's procedure, Nunhems Netherlands BV adheres to the applicable law and regulations, amongst others the General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR"). For more information about the processing of your data and your rights, we would like to refer you to our privacy notice for applicants on our website www.nunhems.com